Posted on Thu, Jun. 02, 2005



  R E L A T E D   C O N T E N T 


A photo of a facial reconstruction from skeletal remains led to the identification of the body of Kenneth Bennett Glaze, who was killed in 1963.



Man's body found 42 years ago is identified

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A homicide victim whose skeletal remains were found 42 years ago in a creek bed near the Benbrook dam finally has a name.

Major case Detective Bryan Jamison said DNA tests have confirmed that the bones are that of Kenneth Bennett Glaze, a 35-year-old man who disappeared from Fort Worth in 1963.

"It was a critical first step," Jamison said of the identification. "I'm glad it happened so quick so we can get down to the business of solving this crime."

The remains, found Dec. 1, 1963, in unincorporated Tarrant County, were initially thought by authorities to be those of a woman. Investigators released a sketch of the woman's probable features and received tips, but to no avail.

The bones were then sealed away in the Fort Worth police property room, where they remained for more than four decades.

But last winter, crime lab employees stumbled upon the skeleton while going through evidence and turned it over to Dr. Dana Austin, a forensic anthropologist with the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office.

Austin reanalyzed the bones and determined that they were, in fact, those of a man. Jamison said the man died from two gunshot wounds.

Forensic artist Suzanne Baldon made a facial reconstruction sculpture of the victim, a photo of which was released to the media in May.

After the media exposure, Jamison received tips by people who recalled Glaze had been missing around that time. Through one of those tips, police eventually identified a cousin of Glaze in South Texas, he said.

Jamison said the cousin sent him several items that she had found in her attic concerning Glaze, including pictures and Army paperwork.

"I took one of the pictures she sent and scanned it in and put it side-by-side by the sculpture," Jamison said. "It was very close. We were pretty confident this DNA was going to work out."

Jamison said the identification was made after comparing DNA from the cousin with DNA extracted from the victim's teeth.

Glaze, a manager of a testing firm, disappeared Aug. 23, 1963, without money, extra clothes or his glasses, according to an article published in the Star-Telegram in August 1963.

He was last seen leaving a west Fort Worth restaurant, driving east on Camp Bowie Boulevard. His car was found abandoned two days later on the West Freeway between Forest Park Boulevard and University Drive, the article stated.

Jamison said he is interested in talking to anybody who knew Glaze, worked with him or has information about his disappearance.

Anyone with information can call Jamison at (817) 392-4440.

Deanna Boyd, (817) 390-7655